What’s your favorite kind of cake? How about carrot cake with cream cheese frosting?
During her pregnancy, my friend Monika had a craving for carrot cake. Now, Monika is the chef-owner of theThai Thani in Norwood, Massachusetts; and a very fine chef. So, naturally, she was seeking the very best of the best cakes. Friends and relatives were enlisted to aid in the search.
My brother made Monika his favorite carrot cake recipe. Monika declared it to be the best of the many cakes she sampled.
It’s great to know that this delicious cake is quite a healthful dessert. It uses only honey as a sweetener. A portion of the flour is the whole-wheat variety.
And even these bunnies
would be pleased with the large portion of carrots in the ingredients list!
Here’s the recipe for Monika’s prize-winning carrot cake!
Serves 1 square or wedge
What's your favorite kind of cake? How about carrot cake with cream cheese frosting? This delicious cake is quite a healthful dessert. It uses only honey as a sweetener. A portion of the flour is the whole-wheat variety. And even bunnies would be pleased with the large portion of carrots in the ingredients list!
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 cups grated carrots (about 9 carrots)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch ground cloves
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large whole egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup dried currants or raisins
- 6 ounces room-temperature light cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons honey
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat bottom of 8-x-8-x-2-inch cake pan or 9-inch round layer-cake pan with cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with plastic wrap or parchment paper. Lightly coat paper and sides of pan with cooking spray.
- Spread shredded carrots between sheets of paper towels and squeeze out excess liquid.
- In small bowl, stir together both flours, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and cloves.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat honey, oil, whole egg, egg whites, and lemon juice, until well blended.
- By hand, stir in flour mixture, carrots, and currants or raisins.
- Spread batter into prepared pan, and spread evenly with rubber spatula.
- Bake in 350° oven about 40 to 45 minutes, util a wooden pick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn cake out of pan and cool completely on wire rack. Discard paper.
- In medium bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat together cream cheese, honey, and vanilla extract, until blended.
- Chill in refrigerator until it reaches good spreading consistency.
- Spread frosting over top of cake.
- Cut into 9 squares or wedges to serve.
Adapted from a recipe by Richard Simmons .