This is, hands down, the best banana bread I’ve ever made, or eaten. It has a lovely texture and vibrant flavors. It’s quick and easy to prepare, and it’s got all healthy ingredients.
This banana bread has a lovely texture and vibrant flavors. It's quick and easy to prepare, and it's got all healthy ingredients.
- 2 ripe bananas, approximately 1 cup mashed
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons orange extract or orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cups raisins or dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a baking pan You may use either a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan, or an 8-inch square cake pan, or a 9-inch round cake pan. Grease the pan by spraying with canola oil cooking spray, or by lightly brushing with canola oil.
- Measure out ¼ cup coconut oil into a microwaveable container. Melt in 10 second bursts in the microwave.
- Place the following wet ingredients into a mixing bowl: mashed banana, eggs, yogurt, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, orange extract or liqueur, and orange peel. Using an electric mixer, blend well.
- Place the following dry ingredients into a separate bowl: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients together with a wooden spoon.
- Now, in two batches, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, blending after each addition. Be careful not to overmix.
- Gently fold in the raisins or dried cranberries, and the walnuts, if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Place the pan on the center rack in preheated oven.
- Baking time will depend on the type of pan. For the loaf pan, check after 50 minutes. For either the square pan or the round pan, check after 40 minutes. It is easy to stick a toothpick into the top to check for doneness, or to simply touch the top of the cake with a fingertip and see if it has set and springs back into place.
Enjoy this bread anytime of day. Serve with cream cheese, or just as is. Nice with tea or coffee.