Make a garden green pea soup that really tastes fresh — as fresh as these beautiful green peas look!
As you might expect, the star ingredient in garden green pea soup is green peas.
Potatoes, carrots, and scallions compliment the peas. And the addition of cream cheese boosts the fresh taste, adding its own tangy fresh flavor.
Serve the soup with a Parmesan topped crostini for a truly delicious and satisfying meal.
Cream cheese adds tangy fresh flavor to this really fresh tasting garden green pea soup. Parmesan topped crostini completes a delicious and satisfying meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bunch (6 to 8) scallions
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups fresh peas
- 2 teaspoons ground basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 baguette, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- In a stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and scallions. Sauté until the scallions are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth to the pot. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the peas, and cook about another 5 minutes.
- Off the heat, add the basil, salt, and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- Break the cream cheese up a bit, and add to the pot.
- Return the pot to the stove.
- Cover and heat gently over medium heat, until cream cheese is incorporated, and the soup is at serving temperature.
- Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake until the cheese has melted and the bread is light golden, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve the cheese crostini along side.
Peas are really little powerhouses of nutrition that are a boon for your health and the whole planet.
— 10 Health Benefits of Peas | Real Food For Life